How-To-Guide: How to register in the LUCID packaging register?
It is one of the three obligations of the German Packaging Act (VerpackG), valid since 01.01.2019: The registration with LUCID. Behind the LUCID packaging register is the authority Central Agency Packaging Register, which checks the correct compliance with the specifications of the VerpackG. Often companies, which have to comply with the Packaging Act, are not completely or incorrectly registered. How is the registration fully completed? What has to be considered? You can find answers and an overview of your obligations here.
- Instructions: How to register in the LUCID packaging register
- Short & to the point: Who has to register in the LUCID packaging register?
- What do you need to consider when registering?
- Overview of obligations
Note: The registration process in LUCID has been revised as of 01.05.2022. The registration process in the video therefore differs in some places from the current process. However, all steps are updated in the following article.
Instructions: How to register in the LUCID packaging register
For the correct compliance with your obligations under the Packaging Act, your registration must be complete and error-free. Otherwise you are not acting in accordance with the law and must expect warnings from the Central Agency Packaging Register – the controlling body of the VerpackG. For your convenience, we have prepared a clear registration guide:
- Call up the LUCID registration page for producers: https://lucid.verpackungsregister.org/Hersteller/Registrierung/Teil-1
- Create a login (just follow steps 1 to 4 on the page)
- Confirm the data within 24 hours via the verification link received by e-mail
- Complete the master data in the LUCID account
- License your packaging with a dual system such as Interseroh+ via Lizenzero (if not already done) this is the 2nd obligation of the VerpackG, the system participation obligation; only after this further obligation has been fulfilled can the registration with LUCID be completed, see points 6) to 8)
- Submit your registration number to your dual system
- Specify the name of the dual system in the LUCID master data
- Enter your licensed packaging volumes for the current year under the tab "Data Report"*
*Important: Which data report you make in LUCID depends entirely on when you conclude the licensing contract and register in the LUCID packaging register. If the conclusion of the contract and the registration takes place before the beginning of a new calendar year (= e.g. in 2020) for the new year (= 2021), you submit an Initial planned volume report for the estimated annual volumes of the following year (= 2021) in your LUCID account under the tab "Data Report".
If you conclude the system participation contract and the registration during one year for the current year, you must submit an Intra-year volume report during the year in your LUCID account under "Data Report".
Short & to the point: Who has to register in the LUCID packaging register?
All manufacturers and traders who put sales packaging into circulation, which ultimately accumulates as waste at the private end consumer, have to comply with the obligations of the German Packaging Act and therefore have to register in the LUCID packaging register.
Please note: The amendment to the German Packaging Act, which has been in force since 3 July 2021, provides for an extended registration obligation. From 1 July 2022, distributors of all packaging must therefore register with the Central Agency Packaging Register in LUCID. This also applies to the initial distributors of packaging not subject to system participation (such as transport packaging) and the final distributors of service packaging.
What do you need to consider when registering?
The LUCID packaging register was created by the Central Agency Packaging Register in order to enable companies that put packaging into circulation to share the costs of recycling packaging waste within the scope of their product responsibility and thus to put the recycling economy on a sustainable footing. To avoid free riders, registration in the LUCID packaging register can only be done by the companies themselves. Affected companies cannot commission a third party, such as their dual system, to carry out the registration or Data Reports on their behalf.
The following data is required for a smooth registration process:
- Person responsible for the company
- Details of an editor
- E-mail address & self-chosen password for login
- Address of the company
- Value added tax identification number (VAT ID)
- National identification number (e.g. commercial register number)
- Listing of all brand names
The reported quantities in the LUCID account and in the dual system must always match, as these are checked by the Central Agency Packaging Register. Therefore: If a volume report/adjustment is made in the dual system, this adjustment must also be made in the LUCID account under "Data Report".
Overview of obligations
Anyone who is considered an initial distributor of sales packaging under the Packaging Act, i.e. who fills packaging with goods for the first time and puts it into circulation commercially, must comply with a total of three obligations:
- Registration obligation: Affected companies must carry out a complete registration in the LUCID packaging register as explained in the instructions.
- System participation obligation: Via a "licence fee" the companies participate in the professional recycling of packaging in a dual system such as Interseroh+ via Lizenzero. The registration number visible in the LUCID dashboard must be given to the dual system. If the packaging volumes are already known, our calculator can quickly and easily calculate the license fee.
- Data reporting obligation: Finally, the licensed packaging volumes and the name of the dual system must be reported in the LUCID account. Data Report is a continuous duty, which must be done especially at the beginning of a year by the Year-end volume report.